Skip to main content

'Tis The Season... For Injuries?

With my blog being called "Engaging Sports and Personal News," there is just going to be a little bit of every kind of post ranging from things in the sports world to... Well, my own world. Hence the "personal" part. 

So maybe that wasn't the best "punch line," if you will, for this blog entry, but I was not sure if I had stated that yet and I felt that the audience should know... Plus, I couldn't really wrack my brain enough to come up with something clever for my third entry. Honestly.

Now, I'm sure that it doesn't take someone who lives under a rock to realize the severity of injuries that can come about from sports. Whether these injuries end up being career-ending, long term or maybe just something minor. I occasionally have a debate with myself and always ask, "have injuries really increased in sports since around the 1980s-'90s, has the severity of multiple injuries increased, or have these "new rules" in selective sports made athletes... Weaker?" I don't think that there's a REAL answer to this. Yeah, sure, we could go ahead and look at stats of injuries from back then to the present, but what about the questioning of the severity or the questioning of athletes and their preparation.

Obviously I can't really speak about witnessing sports of 'way back when' considering I wasn't born until the '90s, but lifelong, extreme injuries stick with an athlete for the rest of their life when they are mentioned on Sportscenter or something other than. For example, the incident with Lawrence Taylor and Joe Theismann... Ouch, I still cringe just thinking about seeing videos of that play. Or, the hit to Darryl Stingley from Jack Tatum that ended that man's career.
An even more recent occurrence of a memorable injury, Louisville's guard Kevin Ware who suffered that brutal... And I mean brutal injury, last year during the March Madness tournament.
Again, my point with those few examples are that of course there were severe injuries back then in sports, but it just seems much more common that you hear of ridiculous injuries in sports nowadays. When I say ridiculous, I mean those injuries that you NEVER want to look at that replay again because it might actually seem to pain you. Kevin Ware's injury is a good example of that. I mean, the man who suffered the injury himself admits on a show called Unguarded staring Rachel Nichols that he has not even watched the replay of it... I don't blame him.


Kevin Ware... You're welcome for showing the picture with the towel over the leg. 

There's also those non-contact injuries that seem to damage a certain athlete's career. Especially if they become reoccurring. You see more of these type of injuries in basketball. The hitting and more violent, for lack of a better word, injuries can be left up to football.

Here's the personal, feel free to take pity on me, part of my blog post... With my specific preferences for teams and athletes in sports, I can witness, first-hand, severe injuries. My teams have had quite the go-around with injuries. Starting with my Pittsburgh Steelers, injuries have become the normality for this team this season. The very first week, you lose your Pro Bowl center for the rest of the season to an ACL tear. Gosh, those ACL injuries are so killer. From the first game of the season to the 11th week of the NFL, there has not been a break in injuries for those guys. Speaking of an ACL injury, let's take a turn to the NBA and to my Chicago Bulls. A turn for the worst. Do I really need to say more? As if having the star point guard out for all last season wasn't enough, Derrick Rose won't be out on that court anymore for this season due to a medical meniscus after playing just ten games. What devastation that means to the team, the organization, the fans, and the city of Chicago... Even though we know that he'll have a strong recovery. Am I being biased? Nahh.


Derrick Rose on crutches after tearing medical meniscus. 

Enough feeling sorry for me... The athletes that have suffered the more severe side of getting injured include Minnesota Vikings' running back Adrian Peterson who suffered an ACL injury as well. He had a killer recovery, which is always what you wish for in sports. Oklahoma City Thunder's point guard Russell Westbrook suffered a tear to his lateral meniscus last season. Kobe Bryant, for the Los Angeles Lakers, just recently made his return from rupturing his Achilles after being away from the game for eight months. Boy, was that an anticipated return for Laker Nation or what? I can relate.


The moment when all of Laker Nation held their breath as the legend was down. 

To the NFL world, ACL injuries have escalated within the past year... Rob Gronkowski with the most recent one. The Miami Dolphins lost a tight end to an ACL tear. And we have all heard the concussion and head injury stories. I'm sure James Harrison could give his two cents about those. Not that he suffered any, but caused them. But that's all apart of the game, right? Anyway, Head injuries have led to the more "strict" calls from the officials which have led to much... MUCH controversy! So, have the new rules from the NFL weakened the players? Well, maybe in their own mindset, but rule changes can't physically weaken someone. It's all in how the athlete prepares themselves. 
Now... I'm not ruling out that the changes that the NFL has made hasn't made players more of "babies," but that's a whole other blog post. 

I guess there really is no way to answer the question of why the injuries have increased majorly over the passed couple of years in different sports, but it does raise a good question and a good blog post... Hopefully!

Here are a couple of the links to some of those injuries. I will do you a favor and let you know which link is whose... Some are graphic! Can't say I didn't warn you. :)

Kevin Ware       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoiaUV7fGEI
Derrick Rose    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo1UlzDeY-o
Joe Theismann  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7acc6qwcmQ
Kobe Bryant     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKiQsg-8nEM
Adrian Peterson  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ln51oIAAE


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncertainty Shows

Mood ALL 2020 I get it … we’re all nervous, right? What does the current state of this country mean for football season? I am certainly more of an NFL lady, but even the uncertainty of the college football season keeps me up at night. I advocate and believe in the ‘football brings people together’ campaign. It is that thing we are certain of every year. For me it is my escape from everything else happening in the world. Multiple conversations throughout the work week consist of making plans for the “big game.” Whether you wake up on Saturdays and have a cup of coffee or crack open a beer at 10 AM, it is socially acceptable … during football season. From tailgates to touchdowns, College Gameday to NFL Sunday Countdown, beers to burgers (or my personal favorite, nachos), debates to friendly debacles, comparisons to controversies … there is nothing like football season. Remember making fun of all the ‘silly’ or ‘pointless’ Bowl games? I take it all back. I would watc...

Normalized Monsquads

The era of the Superteams is still in full effect. Oh the joy.  It has been over a decade since LeBron James took his talents to South Beach to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. This is not the first ever Big Three, but the first time a free agency was used to forcibly assemble a Superteam. We all remember 'The Decision' and we all remember the information we received after the Superteam was formed regarding text messages and conversations between James, Wade and Bosh masterminding the whole plan. The Boston Celtics are the ones who assembled the original Big Three (yes, arguably). This Big Three was formed in a different way, a more natural way maybe? It didn't feel schemed on and it wasn't nationally televised. Boston traded away the fifth and 35th pick in the NBA Draft, and a couple of players for Ray Allen. Around a month later, the Celtics continued their momentum. In a trade that would cost the Celtics five players, two draft picks and some cash ... Kevin Garnett w...

It's The Rookies For Me

  The NFL awards, the NBA awards, the All-Star selection ... how much of it is really ... accurate? Devin Booker initially getting snubbed as an All-Star starter is proof enough for me to realize that the voting system is well, misleading. T.J. Watt missing the mark on NFL Defensive Player of the Year is well, just wrong.  And no, that is not me saying that I do not think Aaron Donald was not deserving of it. However, T.J. should have taken the crown on that. It's not bias, it's just numbers.  So do not come for me.  However, I would be lying if said that we all didn't love to find out who wins these things. It's the sports lover in us. And even though these awards appear to be a wash, they do still become a part of these players' legacies and accolades. This year's most intriguing NBA award is not the Most Valuable Player but the Rookie of the Year. It has been one of those races where the lead runner changes frequently.  It is LaMelo Ball, Tyrese Haliburton, a...