Skip to main content

Unlike Any Other

 


When you read the storyline the Lakers are the favorite. To keep it real, there is really just no question about it. 

Do I have a dog in this fight? Honestly, no. My heart lies with Los Angeles in the spirit of Kobe. In the spirit of the NBA Finals I believe that we are about to have one of the best matchups we have seen in a long time.  

LeBron vs. Former Coach
Valiant Veterans vs. Raving Rookie
Doing It For Kobe vs. Cut From The Miami Heat Cloth

I will throw in a prediction for kicks and giggles ... at the end of this blog. Stay tuned as I develop one while writing this because I am still undecided. 

Before the NBA season resumed many of us were leery on how the season would feel. We all knew it was going to be one unlike any other. Therefore, it is worth saying that this NBA Finals may mean a little bit more. Players have had to persevere through mental demands, isolation, trying to perform at their highest all while fighting and recognizing the social and racial injustices that were going on outside of the bubble. So sure, the NBA may have been short when considering how many games played, but by no means did it feel short to those playing.   

The Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers are both 12-3 in the playoffs. If LeBron and the Lakers pull this Championship off then they will tie the Boston Celtics for the most ever with 17. 

The Miami Heat? Well, they seem to be playing with that vengeance, that chip on their shoulder. Whatever "it" is, Dwyane Wade says that Jimmy Butler has it. Udonis Haslem summed it up like this, "You had to go through something in life that put a chip on your shoulder. And that's built grit inside you that you're willing to go through extreme circumstances to get where you're trying to go." This is the culture that is instilled within the Heat organization. 

Okay, time for logistics. 

How does one actually guard LeBron? The answer is simple, you don't. I am going to have a 'come to Jesus' moment with you all right here, right now. If you have followed Bad Ash for some time, you have heard my cry of Kobe being my GOAT and that LeBron does not even compare. Let me be the first to tell you that I regret the lack of appreciation I may have had for LeBron James beginning when he first left Cleveland and went to Miami. I was too focused on my  'Kobe > LeBron' debate that I missed out on some appreciation for one of the greatest basketball players to walk this earth. Let me also be one to tell you to make sure you truly watch LeBron James during these games. All of the Zion Williamson comparisons are out the window for now. As a sports lover, do not miss what this man is doing. 

The Lakers have James, Davis, and a 7-foot center on the floor. Two of those three men are able to play anywhere on the court ... down in the paint, up at the arc, it does not matter. That 7-foot center, also knows as Dwight Howard, took over the starting role but has a habit of getting into foul trouble. The Miami Heat are ranked at No. 1 at the free throw line. 

Fun fact (but not so fun for the Heat): LeBron James is shooting 64% on 2s overall and that is his best postseason mark throughout his career. He's been to the postseason nearly 700 times, so that means that stat is pretty good. 

Throughout this matchup there is a lot up in the air regarding how Jimmy Butler and the Heat will be guarding LeBron James and the Lakers. The Heat have something to bring to the table though, right? 

Without a doubt. 

Their zone is undeniable, and something that Boston could not figure out until it was too late. James and Davis, as passers and scorers, may be able to alleviate the pressure that comes with the zone. When is comes to the zone defense, offensive rebounds may become an issue. Offensive rebounding has been a strong suit of the Lakers all season. 

The Miami Heat have been the team to truly capitalize on steals (again with the zone) and oddly enough the Lakers have the second-worse turnover rate in the league. Basically what I am trying to say is that this matchup is the perfect matchup? I am hoping and praying for a seven game series ... as you should be, too. 


The heart and the grit are there for both teams. LeBron guarding Jimmy might seem like a mismatch, but I promise you it is not. That pump fake is lethal. I haven't even mentioned  anything about Tyler Herro yet. He's been the new kid in school, but everyone fell in love with him quickly. I guess he has the "it" also. I am all for a thriving rookie making their way into history and being a huge help in winning a championship, but I believe the experience and size of the opponents will catch up to Herro. He has proved many doubters wrong, so maybe I will be the next. 

Maybe you have already gathered this, but I really do not have a prediction narrowed down. I think this could be anyone's series. In the essence of size and Kobe's spirit being in the favor of LA ... I am taking the Lakers in five (my heart tells me seven).

One thing I am certain of, I will be appreciating the player that is LeBron James. I am not sure how many more Finals we will see him in. 
9:00 PM. ABC. Time for tip-off. 



Today is the perfect day to begin the NBA Finals ... and the perfect day to actually ARREST THE COPS WHO KILLED BREONNA TAYLOR. Black Lives Matter. They have always mattered and they will always matter. This fight for justice must continue. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncertainty Shows

Mood ALL 2020 I get it … we’re all nervous, right? What does the current state of this country mean for football season? I am certainly more of an NFL lady, but even the uncertainty of the college football season keeps me up at night. I advocate and believe in the ‘football brings people together’ campaign. It is that thing we are certain of every year. For me it is my escape from everything else happening in the world. Multiple conversations throughout the work week consist of making plans for the “big game.” Whether you wake up on Saturdays and have a cup of coffee or crack open a beer at 10 AM, it is socially acceptable … during football season. From tailgates to touchdowns, College Gameday to NFL Sunday Countdown, beers to burgers (or my personal favorite, nachos), debates to friendly debacles, comparisons to controversies … there is nothing like football season. Remember making fun of all the ‘silly’ or ‘pointless’ Bowl games? I take it all back. I would watc...

Normalized Monsquads

The era of the Superteams is still in full effect. Oh the joy.  It has been over a decade since LeBron James took his talents to South Beach to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. This is not the first ever Big Three, but the first time a free agency was used to forcibly assemble a Superteam. We all remember 'The Decision' and we all remember the information we received after the Superteam was formed regarding text messages and conversations between James, Wade and Bosh masterminding the whole plan. The Boston Celtics are the ones who assembled the original Big Three (yes, arguably). This Big Three was formed in a different way, a more natural way maybe? It didn't feel schemed on and it wasn't nationally televised. Boston traded away the fifth and 35th pick in the NBA Draft, and a couple of players for Ray Allen. Around a month later, the Celtics continued their momentum. In a trade that would cost the Celtics five players, two draft picks and some cash ... Kevin Garnett w...

It's The Rookies For Me

  The NFL awards, the NBA awards, the All-Star selection ... how much of it is really ... accurate? Devin Booker initially getting snubbed as an All-Star starter is proof enough for me to realize that the voting system is well, misleading. T.J. Watt missing the mark on NFL Defensive Player of the Year is well, just wrong.  And no, that is not me saying that I do not think Aaron Donald was not deserving of it. However, T.J. should have taken the crown on that. It's not bias, it's just numbers.  So do not come for me.  However, I would be lying if said that we all didn't love to find out who wins these things. It's the sports lover in us. And even though these awards appear to be a wash, they do still become a part of these players' legacies and accolades. This year's most intriguing NBA award is not the Most Valuable Player but the Rookie of the Year. It has been one of those races where the lead runner changes frequently.  It is LaMelo Ball, Tyrese Haliburton, a...