Skip to main content

Invincible


I have a box of tissues by my side.
A glass of water.
A pen.
Some paper.
And, out of the ordinary, ESPN is not playing on the TV in the background.

Kobe. I thought so highly of him.

Oh, what Kobe meant to me.
What Kobe meant to all of us.

Legend. Hero. Goat (one of my most treasured sports debates). Icon. Brother. Son. Husband. Father.

I wear my #24 Hollywood jersey differently now.
I wear my purple Kobe X’s differently now.
Every single Kobe highlight I watch, I watch differently now.
That time that I went and watched him play in Chicago, I remember it differently now … but how I view Kobe will forever remain the same.

My boyfriend and I began to talk about our favorite Kobe memories yesterday and you couldn’t help but to just … feel your blood began to pump faster, clinch your fists, grit your teeth … you know, full-on Mamba Face. It signifies so much.
Invincible is the word he kept bringing up in our conversation.
Man, we sure do love Bean.

Go hard.
At every single thing you do, go hard. 

Even in crumbling up a piece of paper, getting ready to shoot it in the trash can, pushing the piece of paper upward with your shooting hand, yelling “Kobe” as you release, and follow through. 
Don’t forget to follow through. 
That’s what I imagine Kobe would say.

Because in everything you do, you give it your all. We call it Mamba Mentality ... something that stretches far beyond the hardwood.


****

The best of the very best talk about how much earning and having your respect meant to them. It was always a dream of mine to interview you, but I will vicariously live through those who had that chance.

I sit here and think about how many interviews I’ve watched, how many times I’ve watched your final game tribute, how amped and envious I was when my old boss from Nike told me she saw you at a conference, how many times I’ve debated with others that YOU ARE the goat, how many conversations I’ve had about you with so many, the moment I saw that #24 jersey on my 24th birthday, the feeling I had when I watched my love open up that #8 royal blue swingman throwback jersey, each time we’ve yelled Mamba Mentality to one another, how in one of our first conversations of getting to know one another he appreciated the fact that I’m a “Kobe girl,” and I remember that moment when we realized our anniversary is on 08/24/2018.

I shed tears on the night of your final game. 
And I’m sure I’ll shed tears when it sinks in that my childhood legend is gone, but right now … you are still invincible to me.

Mamba Forever.




 
 
 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncertainty Shows

Mood ALL 2020 I get it … we’re all nervous, right? What does the current state of this country mean for football season? I am certainly more of an NFL lady, but even the uncertainty of the college football season keeps me up at night. I advocate and believe in the ‘football brings people together’ campaign. It is that thing we are certain of every year. For me it is my escape from everything else happening in the world. Multiple conversations throughout the work week consist of making plans for the “big game.” Whether you wake up on Saturdays and have a cup of coffee or crack open a beer at 10 AM, it is socially acceptable … during football season. From tailgates to touchdowns, College Gameday to NFL Sunday Countdown, beers to burgers (or my personal favorite, nachos), debates to friendly debacles, comparisons to controversies … there is nothing like football season. Remember making fun of all the ‘silly’ or ‘pointless’ Bowl games? I take it all back. I would watc...

Normalized Monsquads

The era of the Superteams is still in full effect. Oh the joy.  It has been over a decade since LeBron James took his talents to South Beach to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. This is not the first ever Big Three, but the first time a free agency was used to forcibly assemble a Superteam. We all remember 'The Decision' and we all remember the information we received after the Superteam was formed regarding text messages and conversations between James, Wade and Bosh masterminding the whole plan. The Boston Celtics are the ones who assembled the original Big Three (yes, arguably). This Big Three was formed in a different way, a more natural way maybe? It didn't feel schemed on and it wasn't nationally televised. Boston traded away the fifth and 35th pick in the NBA Draft, and a couple of players for Ray Allen. Around a month later, the Celtics continued their momentum. In a trade that would cost the Celtics five players, two draft picks and some cash ... Kevin Garnett w...