Skip to main content

Bubble Built



It is no secret that the NBA bubble works, and whatever the MLB is doing does not work. Baseball began play on July 23 and the NBA tipped off their restart on July 30. MLB, players and personnel, have had over 30 positive COVID-19 cases and 20 games postponed. The NBA has not had a positive COVID test since July 13. Out of 343 tests, zero have been positive. 

One is not like the other. Shoutout to the bubble.

One league has a commissioner that puts forth an effort to make sure its players are looked out for, and their families. This commissioner makes them aware that their health is actually the priority and money is spent in all of the right places in order to appease all parties (you and I included). This other commissioner lacks the effort in taking responsibility for being blind to reality because of the inconvenience that may come with it. 

Robert Manfred may not be a "quitter," but also does not appear to be the most rational either. 

It took the MLB quite some time to get the 2020 season established and going. Maybe it was just me under the wrong impression that while the negotiations were happening, strict guidelines and regulations were also being discussed in order to keep these players safe and prevent a spread  of COVID-19 ... you know, be bubble-like. It takes more than trusting and believing that individuals will practice common sense. It takes more than the discouragement of going out to bars, restaurants or large gatherings. You also have to care. 

Let me give you a brief rundown of just how much thought and effort has went into the NBA bubble: 
  • There are three hotels between all 22 teams.
  • Anyone who "enters" the bubble is required to quarantine for up to 48 hours, until they submit two negative COVID-19 tests. 
  • Every individual who is in the bubble is tested each night. 
  • There is an opportunity for players to wear biometric devices that measure vital signs. 
  • There is an anonymous hotline in place to report any violation of the guidelines and stipulations put in place by the NBA.
  • Players and personnel are only allowed to leave the bubble for extenuating circumstances. 
  • For the fun part ... there are barbers (cannot be out here looking rough), manicurists (because who doesn't need this!), video game lounge rooms (necessary), and places for golf and swimming (I mean, obviously).
I know. I want to take a vacation to the NBA bubble, too. 

On the contrary, it appears that a positive COVID-19 case in baseball is about as common as a pop fly out to center field. The reality that comes with sports right now is that unless there is effort and sincere thought put into the prevention of a COVID-19 spread throughout players and personnel, then a season should not be started ... no matter how many games it is shortened by. 

In the midst of the coronavirus outbreak within the MLB Robert Manfred emphasized the fact that there will be no stoppage of the season. "We are playing. The players need to be better, but I am not a quitter in general, and there is no reason to quit now. We have had to be fluid, but it is manageable," said the MLB commissioner. That was not the time to place blame on the players. But, he said what he said.

The word manageable is such an insult. These professional athletes are risking their health, and the health of their families to provide for the billion-dollar economies that they themselves have created (and that keep you employed, Mr. Manfred). They are asking for safety and concern, and it is the responsibility of those in charge to create and enforce guidelines and restrictions. 

The idea has been tossed around that maybe there would be an MLB bubble for the playoffs. My BadAsh opinion on that is this ... the shortened season has already been altered so much, including the rosters due to positive COVID-19 tests, so how accurate is the season truly? Why start the bubble then? I know they say better late than never, but Drake told us that never late is better. Basically, is the damage already done? Will making a playoff bubble excuse the total lack of effort and rationale on Manfred's behalf?

Adam Silver has led by example. Let us all hope that Roger Goodell follows suit. 


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncertainty Shows

Mood ALL 2020 I get it … we’re all nervous, right? What does the current state of this country mean for football season? I am certainly more of an NFL lady, but even the uncertainty of the college football season keeps me up at night. I advocate and believe in the ‘football brings people together’ campaign. It is that thing we are certain of every year. For me it is my escape from everything else happening in the world. Multiple conversations throughout the work week consist of making plans for the “big game.” Whether you wake up on Saturdays and have a cup of coffee or crack open a beer at 10 AM, it is socially acceptable … during football season. From tailgates to touchdowns, College Gameday to NFL Sunday Countdown, beers to burgers (or my personal favorite, nachos), debates to friendly debacles, comparisons to controversies … there is nothing like football season. Remember making fun of all the ‘silly’ or ‘pointless’ Bowl games? I take it all back. I would watc...

Normalized Monsquads

The era of the Superteams is still in full effect. Oh the joy.  It has been over a decade since LeBron James took his talents to South Beach to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. This is not the first ever Big Three, but the first time a free agency was used to forcibly assemble a Superteam. We all remember 'The Decision' and we all remember the information we received after the Superteam was formed regarding text messages and conversations between James, Wade and Bosh masterminding the whole plan. The Boston Celtics are the ones who assembled the original Big Three (yes, arguably). This Big Three was formed in a different way, a more natural way maybe? It didn't feel schemed on and it wasn't nationally televised. Boston traded away the fifth and 35th pick in the NBA Draft, and a couple of players for Ray Allen. Around a month later, the Celtics continued their momentum. In a trade that would cost the Celtics five players, two draft picks and some cash ... Kevin Garnett w...

Invincible

I have a box of tissues by my side. A glass of water. A pen. Some paper. And, out of the ordinary, ESPN is not playing on the TV in the background. Kobe. I thought so highly of him. Oh, what Kobe meant to me. What Kobe meant to all of us. Legend. Hero. Goat (one of my most treasured sports debates). Icon. Brother. Son. Husband. Father. I wear my #24 Hollywood jersey differently now. I wear my purple Kobe X’s differently now. Every single Kobe highlight I watch, I watch differently now. That time that I went and watched him play in Chicago, I remember it differently now … but how I view Kobe will forever remain the same. My boyfriend and I began to talk about our favorite Kobe memories yesterday and you couldn’t help but to just … feel your blood began to pump faster, clinch your fists, grit your teeth … you know, full-on Mamba Face. It signifies so much. Invincible is the word he kept bringing up in our conversation. Man, we sure do love Bean. Go hard. ...